Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shewarmah

Aka delicious. A Shewarmah (pronounces Shwarmah - kind of say it quickly, it sounds better). It's like a filafel, which I will tell you about in a yet-to-come issue. I had one today. It was my dinner. It was amazing, except for one of the added "goodies" that goes on it, let's just say that pickled/fried/pickled eggplant isn't my favorite.

But today was good. Assembly today here at home (two days in a row at a church service, since when did I move to the south and join the SBC?). Bill preached today on Romans 12:1-2. It's a passage we hear a lot, but even a passage like that makes more sense here. Not because of any massive inherent intelligence or enlightenment that comes from the land, but because God is using me being here to really open my heart, to help me really listen and really care, to shake me and say, "Hey, This is My Word, you've always had it, quit wasting these moments." To which I reply, "(ashamed expression, coupled with regret, with a dose of 'why did I waste so much of the last 20-ish years?' feeling) Ok God, I'm listening, I will try now." So you all can help me with that. Don't let me send long emails. Don't let me blog too long. Don't let me waste a moment of my day with checking email for the third time. Make me care about God's Word.

We went into the Old City this afternoon, I bought an Unofficial Israeli soccer team sweatshirt for roughly $7.57 today, I did homework, I ate Shewarmah, and we watched Fiddler on the Roof tonight. But who really cares? I'm done with this blogging. I'm going to brush my teeth and read some of the Bible.

2 comments:

  1. Fiddler on the Roof?! You know what we'd say if we could see you face to face! Another classic now checked off the list (first Casablanca and now Fiddler---God does indeed work in mysterious ways!)

    On another note, how in the world could you tell it was eggplant if it had been picked and fried? Maybe it's a disguise technique that Israeli parents use to get their children to eat nasty vegetables? :)

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, we know I like classic movies, I'm just slow at watching them :)
    It was a consensus from those who shared in the "joy" of the experience, even though they are from CA I trust them.

    ReplyDelete