Friday, February 6, 2009

McDonald's: It really is better here.

Today we had a quiz. I studied "for real" for about 20 minutes, 15 of that was at breakfast this morning. I got 37 out of 38. The one I missed was one of those where you cross out the right answer because you second-guessed yourself. Lame.

Everyone (mostly) around here was really worried about this quiz. It was harder than the last one, sure, but only in comparison. We've studied the stuff in class, went on a trip on Wednesday that brought it to life and people still studied for hours (I just shook my head at them). It was good. So far my quiz average is an A, but more than that, I remember it like it matters. Because it does :)

Today was good, the six hours of class went pretty fast actually. Hebrew was decent. We have a bazillion new words to learn by Tuesday -- plus all the conjugations that go with the verbs. Fortunately there are not many tenses in Hebrew and no present to-be verbs (is/are/am/etc...) I am going to get this, I just know it. To put it in food terms: Reading it = cake. Comprehending = half-eaten last week's cake. Speaking = cake from Christmas.

Tonight we went into Jerusalem to attend the Jerusalem Assembly (Believers! :) It was really good. Let me tell You about the coolest thing since the guitar: Singing Hebrew worship songs. Praise God for moments like that. The first song we sang was just beautiful and two of the worship leaders had voices that blended so well. We sang one song and then stopped and had praise/prayer and then Communion. Cool stuff to share it with people from literally every continent but Antarctica (duh). Then we got to sing more.

Come Thou Fount must be a popular song over here, we've sung it at two different churches. But let me tell you, there is little else that moves you like hearing Come Thou Fount in three languages (some Germans next to us I think) and "You are My All in All" in two languages. I cried. And I'm not afraid to admit it.

The message was on Leviticus 3, talking about peace offerings (the word Korban was used no less than 50 times tonight between songs and sermon :) The connection was based on how important/necessary it was to be pure in the eyes of the LORD before offering a sacrifice. Here's the crunch: We should be the same when we take communion. Here's a powerful thought that the pastor, Meno Kalishur (pray for that great man and other pastors, you think that's a tough job in the States...) shared: (paraphrased) "If the Communion plate is empty it means that the congregation should be full of people walking clean in the forgiveness of the LORD. ... [my thought: stop for a minute and consider the implications. Is that true in my church? umm...] ... If your heart isn't prepared, if there is sin in your life, then maybe you should wait." -- Fortunately a Friend reminded me of these verses just a few days ago and Meno brought them up: 1 John 1:7,9. What a merciful God we have.

And then we went to McDonalds. Cool huh? It was actually good! Who would have thunk it? (that phrase is for you Dad :) The regular burger I had was the size of my hand. Like bottom of palm to tip of fingers and circular. So not that puny little thing you get in America. And I had ice cream. And it was delicious.

And now I am done. And I used "and" to start about 15 sentences so I will stop. Except one more. And now I am going to go play games in a bomb shelter again. See ya.

4 comments:

  1. Eli,
    When did you grow up? Amazing! I am so envious (in the good way) of your experiences. I am living vicariously through you!
    I read what you write, see the insight and maturity and wonder what happened to that chubby little nephew of mine? That reminds me, I have to send some pictures to Martin....hmmm, where did I put the bathtub picture??
    Love you and praying,
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! When was I ever chubby? :)
    I think the last time I saw you guys I burnt that picture, so you can quit your search now.
    Thanks for the compliments and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Eli, you were one fat baby...I just heard you had a blog and checked it out...sounds so awesome to be you right now. is it winter or summer there? and have you seen olive trees, thats something i have always wanted to see. and falafel is yummy, i agree.
    we love you and pray for your safety,
    aunt sue
    P.S. I havent heard "come thou fount" for many years, (old hymns not being the fashion at our church) thanks for the flashback!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Aunt Sue... It is basically winter here, but that means nothing since it's sunny and in the sixties, so its more like spring for them right now. We have seen tons of olive trees, one up-close today actually. Glad I could spark a flashback, it's a good song :)
    thanks for saying hi and for praying!

    ReplyDelete