Monday, January 26, 2009

Israeli Iced Coffee to go...

So today I spent 4 bucks(ish) on coffee in Israel. Who knew? Eli the not as much of a coffee drinker as his Girlfriend spent 17 shekels on a delicious iced coffee. I won't be doing that every other leap-year, but it was worth it for the experience.

Here, I'll tell You about it, put it in some context if you will: Today we went to the model of the New Testament at the Israel Museum in the newer part of Jerusalem. It's a model of what Jerusalem would have looked like in Jesus' day, pretty cool to say the least. Also at the museum area is the Dead Sea Scrolls display. In all honesty, it is not the most intriguing thing we have done. But I don't mean to downplay it, it was really cool. I love that it is such a powerful reminder of the way God has preserved His Word for us. That part is much more than intriguing. God is awesome.

From there we walked through the newer areas of Jerusalem to downtown. To keep it short, we ate non-kosher pizza (hooray for pepperoni! It was nice to eat something not so restricted) and then walked around the downtown area (Ben-Yehudah street, to be more specific). We went through the open market (gotta love fresh strawberries and honeyed cinnamon rolls :).

Here comes the coffee connection: We split into smaller groups and walked around on a pseudo-photo-scavenger hunt. One of the places we had to go was Aroma Espresso (Israel's Starbucks). So after whole lot of walking we stopped there and took a break. In honor of Jordi I bought a coffee. The "Iced Aroma" is now highly recommended by yours truly. So there's my coffee story.

I liked today, but now my brain hurts from learning Hebrew, speaking some Hebrew, reading a lot of the Bible and cramming more facts in through my tired ears. But I love it. Oh yeah, another cool thing we get to do here: memorize Scripture together. So now I have memorized Psalm 48. Read it, it's a good one, especially when one has the opportunity to see what it talks about and know that the great God of then is the great God of now.

Before I fall into old habits I will stop typing. Later...

4 comments:

  1. Hey look everyone you hardly (if at all) have to scroll down to read this post! Success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm . . . "bucks(ish)"? Is that Hebrew? And, "if you will" --- I laughed out loud! Where have we heard that before! Oh . . . know that Zachery, I am sure, will now agree to someday go to Israel. Pepperoni tipped the scales.

    On another note, I know what you're thinking. "My mom felt sorry for me when she saw that I had no official "Followers." What can I say? As you said moments ago, "I can read you like a book." (That is not a direct quote, but it was something just as cliche!)

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the Israel Museum actually open this time or was part of it still under construction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of it under construction still. Probably more than before actually... oh well.

    ReplyDelete