Wednesday. The day of field trips. Today was the New Testament walk of Jerusalem. I slept in. But not too late, don't worry, I just mean that I slept until a quarter after 7 today, it was really nice. And we didn't leave until 8 so I was good on time.
We went up on Temple Mount this morning. It is interesting... and cool. It is strange to be somewhere that in it's current state means nothing to you, but in the past and in a Day yet to come it means so much to us. I really enjoyed being able to spend time just walking around and thinking while I was there, not like the last time when it was go up, take pictures, leave. We listened to Abner share some facts and thoughts and powerful words and then had about an hour to walk around.
When I went over to the area known as Solomon's Stables (not his by the way, stupid traditional names... always getting it wrong :) there were three Arab boys hanging out by some stairs. As I walked up they said in pretty decent English, "picture?" After being confused for a second and then talking with them they took my picture with the Dome of the Rock in the background. As soon as the one kid was done another said in very good English, "one dollar." He wanted a dollar for each of them for taking my picture with my camera!?! What a businessman. I, of course, blatantly refused, but told them that since I felt nice I would give them each a shekel (like giving them a quarter). They were just ok with that, but beggars can't be choosy (a phrase that took on a lot of meaning in this situation). The third boy then pointed at the notebook in my shirt pocket like he wanted it, after being an ignorant foreigner for a second we got it figured out that he wanted to sign his name. So they all did. So I spent 3 shekels to get my picture taken and have three Arab boys sign my notebook. A good transaction I suppose. But it means I will remember them. And more so, it means I will remember to pray for them. In a place of such darkness and deceit will you all join me in praying that Murad, Mhamad and Ahmad come to know Christ?
Three nine or ten year-old boys deserve to know.
So the Temple Mount was a powerful experience and in more ways than I expected. As if that wasn't enough, we went down to the Western Wall. To keep my thoughts on this brief I will only say this: It so saddens me to see a people in search of hope so diligently pursuing a religion whose True Hope has already come. I put on my beanie (to cover my head so as not to offend) and prayed for them.
We did a few other small things (St. Peter in Gallicantu a church where they think Jesus was held, tried, beaten, etc. But it's not the place... who knew? :) then lunch, then a tour of the Wohl Archaelogical Museum -- sound familiar Israel buddies? -- where there is well-preserved home of a super-rich person of Jesus' era... maybe the High Priest?) After all of that, we had a little free time in the Old City, I had forgotten how good Snickers bars can be.
Our day culminated in a stop at the Garden Tomb. Though not the real site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial, and resurrection, it is a good place to imagine it happening. The setting is peaceful and gives you a good idea of what it could have been like on that Amazing day. I get annoyed with myself, after a day of cramming facts and experiencing such powerful things I had nothing left. In a place much like it may have been back on that Day, I could only sit and think without much passion. The Resurrection is the core of our beliefs and my tired brain - my tired heart - can barely comprehend even a touch of that joy. It's a hard thing to experience. But it is good to remember that our God is not only the One who conquered death, He is the one who loves me despite my tiredness and lack of understanding.
Great stuff over here guys, it's worth a trip.
Thanks for your prayers, I certainly need them right now. With so much to learn -- so much to store up in my heart -- I quickly wear out and hope that the seeds that have been planted in my heart will remain good and one day grow up. I still have a small paper to write and lots of reading to do and my brain hurts so I will close.
All I ask is for your prayers today. For Murad, Mhamad, Ahmad, God's people, and myself.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
I didn't get arrested today.
Labels:
Arabs,
food,
Jews,
prayer,
Resurrection,
Temple Mount,
tired brain,
walking,
Western Wall
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment