You ever get those moments where three or four days go by and you wonder where they went and what you did and how seemingly moments ago it was last Thursday and now it's Monday?
Well that's not the case, I was just curious.
But in all seriousness, it's been a rather full week/weekend/whatever since the last time I typed. The Junior High Boys Choir has gained members, I waver between baritone and bass these days and yesterday it felt like John Henry was using my face for his next phenomenal feat. But fortunately the pressure in my face has diminished to where it now only has the capacity to blow up a few dozen volleyballs. But I really can't complain. I've been blessed with pretty great health in the last few years, it makes sense that I get it eventually. God has been good to remind me that I am healthy every other day only because He takes care of me. When one is sick (and surrounded by sickness) one realizes the amazingness that takes place in a single day of not coughing. We have a pretty cool immune system folks.
I like typing because I can say as much as I want without increasing the number of coughing interruptions. But enough shooting the breeze. Let's get back to last week's southerly adventure.
If I recall we left our fearless hero perched on the precipice at the great Mactesh Ramon (Ramon means "exalted" by the way, so I stood on the edge of an exalted crater :) So... let's see. Day 2: Some crazies got up for the sunrise, I slept like a normal person and had no regrets. We drove south (through the floor of the crater) into the wilderness of Paran, where our friends the Israelites would have wandered for a real long time. We stopped right by the sign that says something like "danger, live firing area" or some such safety indicator. We wandered in the wilderness for a mere 40 minutes. Taking time to wander alone, Bill had us read Deuteronomy 8 and consider the words with the wilderness all around us. You read that chapter sometime, it means a lot in general, but so much more when you look at your clothes and shoes and see how worn they are after a month in the land and you look all around you and see rocks, a few bushes, no clouds, and a lot of brown nothing... God's protection and provision is much more than astounding.
From there we continued south, pausing momentarily at an overlook. It's rather weird to see Egypt, Israel, and Jordan all withing a few miles of each other. But it was a great view, I am excited to go to Egypt next month! Plus the view of the gulf of Aqaba was amazing (the gulf is part of the Red Sea, though pretty much definitely Not where Moses parted it, wrong side of the Sinai peninsula). Then we drove down to Elat (the coastal tourist trap of Israel) and snorkeled for the afternoon. One thing about IBEX is that we see where our money goes - and it usually goes right to us. We get to travel like nobody's business, eat, snorkel, get a daily stipend on trips to cover meals, and all sorts of other joys that I have yet to discover. Hooray for good stewardship over here.
I have never snorkeled before, I liked it, there are some amazing fish over here, my salt intake was raised to the 20th power that day and it was overall just super.
Then we slept.
Then we woke up. Some crazies got up for sunrise again, I slept like a smart person.
This time we headed the other direction, away from oceans and beaches and 1 inch of rainfall per year. We drove up the Rift Valley (aka Aravah aka the border regions between Israel and Jordan) and stopped in the area of Mt. Timnah. Back in the day (and even some still) it was a big copper mining area. The Egyptians left behind some scratches in a rock wall, a little temple, and the big rocks deemed "Solomon's Pillars" are there. It is funny to me that anything big and impressive and old gets to be Solomon's, weird names around here...
The coolest thing there was the replica of the Tabernacle. Built in 1999 by some college in Germany, this model is pretty cool. Unfortunately the recent storms came upon the Tabernacle in great winds and blew off the main cover and ruined some "fence" cloths. But it was cool to see the layout and how cool our God is for dwelling among His people. He did not have a big room, let me tell you, that Holy of Holies is like a Davidson dorm room. That is one huge God saying something pretty big to us little specks.
From there we got to hike around in the sandstone, see a mushroom rock, and leave one of our own to die in the wilderness. Just kidding. But back in the day it might have been that way, who knows? She sprained her ankle on one of the bazillions of rocks that make walking not so easy. So if you are worried when you look at the pictures and see the author of this blog carrying someone do not be dismayed, I was merely recruited as - and I quote - "another pack horse" by Bill. Then we went to a zoo of desert predators, which would have been much cooler had I not been part of aforementioned injured woman's chariot squad. But nonetheless it was sweet. You know how we have coyotes back home and we shoot them? Well over here we put them in behind safe fences under witness protection programs and call them jackals. We also saw some vultures like the ones from The Jungle Book (Disney version), but still playing the role of one of the noble steeds I didn't get to see as much of the rare and terrifying animals as I would have liked. But it was cool.
Then we went to the Masada guest house, played some intense ultimate frisbee on a little basketball court and hiked through the Marl Canyons at night. It's like walking on the moon. The chalky dirt in moonlight really does make it look like the moon, it was amazing.
After not too many hours of sleep we got up to hike Masada. I'm glad we did it in half-light because it is a killer hike, particularly at 5:30 in the morning. I don't love getting up early, but when it involves climbing a mountain I tend to get out of bed with a lot better attitude. And it was so worth it. The sunrise was wonderful times ten. A great way to start a day, the Word, sunrise, Israel, huge rock fortresses... so great.
I played tour guide for about 5 of the guys in the group, it's amazing how much I can remember from last time and the reading we've done, it was a ton of fun. Fast-forward: we hiked down, left, went to Qumran, hiked around the ruins of the Essenes settlement, and drove a little way and hiked up to cave number one. This is the cave where the first Dead Sea Scrolls were found, but NOT by a shepherd throwing stones. Contrary to that little myth, it was archaeologist-type people who were looking for something beside lost sheep. Just call Bill the newest host of Myth-Busters, he and Abner continually shatter our false presuppositions.
Then we went home. And it was great. It was so cool to see all of the southern parts of Israel, such desolate country demands an outside source of survival. Good thing God was there for the Israelites huh?
That concludes this broadcast hour, sorry that it was so long, but I wanted to get the whole trip in there. Hope you didn't fall asleep.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Sorry for the delay
Labels:
Bill,
coughing,
Dead Sea,
God is awesome,
great trip,
hiking,
injuries,
junior high boys choir,
Masada,
moonwalk,
Negev,
Sunrise,
tired,
vultures,
wilderness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Snorkeling! How did we miss that little tidbit in our last conversation?!
ReplyDeleteMom :)