It was as though I lived a different life those many months ago when I was in Israel, then Europe, then Israel... In many ways it is so far removed from the present that I feel like the memories that I have were told to me by another, none if being truly of my own recollection. But in so many other ways it is so clear that those memories are mine and definitely mine alone. Which I suppose is part of the reason that it is so difficult to recall; no one I see on a regular basis knows that Eli, no one here can reminisce and laugh with me about the most poignant experiences in my recent history. But all good things do come to an end, but that doesn't exactly mean that they have no bearing on the present.
Which is why I come to you today. Apparently some of you see the need for a "wrapping up" of the adventures that occurred seemingly so long ago. I think I am ready to delve back into that treasure chest of life and tell you about the final days of that great journey.
Judging by the last post that actually relayed information directly pertinent to my travels we left off just before the last day with everyone in Israel. (for those posts try looking back at these posts: Egyptian excursions, exploits, explorations, excitement, exodus, and Elat. Part II... and The final hours...and then Not many words...) So... let us see here... ok, we'll just start on Saturday morning, May 2nd.
As usual we woke up and went to Assembly on the Moshav. It was certainly a bittersweet parting. Excitement of the days to come was high (some going home, some going home to significant others or fiances, some going on other worldly adventures- me to Europe, Seth around the middle east with his dad) but at the same time it was hard to believe that only 3 1/2 months before we had sat in that classroom with those many new and foreign faces for the very first time. That 3 1/2 months ago we had attempted to sing with them in Hebrew and barely keep up, let alone understand anything. But on this last day it was so very different. I sang and could keep up - even understand some of what the songs were saying! - I heard Abner preach with joy and passion and held-back tears and I thought about everything that had transpired in such a short amount of time. I was a different young man in the eyes of the Israelis around me because I no longer stumbled over songs and sometimes laughed at the jokes in Hebrew before they were translated into English for all of us, but much more than that, I was a completely different young man from the inside out. Eli Conlee, the kid from Corban was no more. Papa Eli, the announcement guy, the friend of many whom he had never known mere months before, a guy with an entirely new perspective was about to leave Israel... Assembly sure was good that day.
After Assembly we packed what little there was left to pack and boarded the bus for our last jaunt into the Old City. Bill brought his kids and we all went to Shabaan's for one last cup of tea and one last exchange of cash for the last-second shopping. Part of me wanted to go everywhere possible, to see everything one last time with my IBEX family, but part of me wanted to be alone to think and enjoy... But that chance would come later, after I had adventured through Europe. I don't remember much of what we did that day... I remember walking around with many different groups of people just to be with them one final time. It's funny that even after a dozen or more trips to the Old City there were still places I had not been that were frequented by my counterparts... Danae and one other person who escapes my memory at the moment went up to this little fourth or fifth floor restaurant that gives you a good view of the Church of the Holy Sepulcre and the rest of that area of the Old City. After all of our wandering had ceased and we boarded the bus for the last time we turned our thoughts to the loading of the bus for the last trip... the trip to the airport and the end of our adventure.
Before I get into that fun and long story I am going to post this one so that it is not humongous and so that I can say I have posted one :) But be assured, there is more to follow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment